Sunday, April 08, 2007

Update on Faith & Makaila 23

Last Friday my mom and I took Faith and Makaila into Children's hospital so that Faith could have her second MRI and Makaila could have an eye exam. Both girls did very well - considering it was a very long eight hour day. We were pleased to hear the results of Faith's MRI. Before going into the exam, we had been told that there might be some concern that Faith's head was growing at a faster rate than normal (which could mean that fluid was collecting in her brain). Of course, this concerned both Graham and I, so we were quite eager to receive the results of the MRI for some peace of mind. Later that evening, Dr. Miller called us at home to give us the results. (Dr. Miller is one of eight top neurologists in the world who is following Faith and Makaila's development). First of all he reassured me that Faith's head is a normal size - in fact, it is in the 50% percentile (good news). He then said that the ventricles in Faith's head are a little larger than he would normally expect and that they ARE larger than Makaila's ventricles. Essentially this is due to one of three things. #1 - it could be due to genetics (afterall, the McMahon's have been known to have large heads). #2 - it could be due to previous trauma to the brain (which could have occurred when Faith was first born) - however this is unlikely as there are no other visible signs to indicate that there has been trauma to the brain. #3 - there IS fluid collecting in the brain - which one could assume if her head continues to grow abnormally fast. At any rate, the doctors will continue to keep a close watch on Faith's head size throughout these next few months to rule out the last possible reason for her "larger than expected" ventricles.

In other news, the girls seem to be adjusting well to being at home. I think we're finally starting to settle into a bit of a routine. My mom went home to Courtenay to celebrate the Easter long weekend with my dad, so Graham and I have been doing the parent thing on our own these last few days. Things have gone relatively smoothly - despite a few minor hiccups along the way. I asked Graham to describe these last few days in only three words and he said "fun, complicated and busy". (I'm glad that he's finally had a taste of what my mom and I have been doing for the last month!)

Thanks everyone, for your suggestions on buying a used vehicle. Graham and I are pursuing things with the Motor Dealer Council of BC as well as Mastercard to see if we can get our $2000.00 deposit back. In the meantime, we have made a verbal commitment to buying another vehicle - a 2004 Toyota Sienna LE - from a lady in Whiterock. All the papers will be signed sometime later this week.
Happy Easter everyone! Thanks for continuing to read about our crazy lives!

5 comments:

Ange K said...

I don't think your lives sound crazy... instead they sound "fun, complicated and busy". :-) It's good to be able to read about the daily joys and hiccups. Thanks for continuing to post so that we can continue to pray.

Anonymous said...

Hey Karyn & Graham,
It's nice to hear from you in your email and see pics of the girls in your blog. They are getting really big and look so good. I'm glad they are both home now and you are enjoying them, its been a long journey. Next time you come to Children's stop by the nursery and ask them if I'm working, I'd love to see the girls.
Take care, Cristiana.

Anonymous said...

I miss you and I love you guys! I am praying for you all and I am so proud of the two of you Karyn! You and Graham have been delt a tough hand and you have proven that with time, patience and practice you can pull it off and you are!
Gods Blessings on the both of you and the kids,
See you soon... I think Andrea Balbriggan Ireland.

Mike, Lyndsay, Bayleigh, Carter and Grace said...

gonna update anytime soon?

Ange K said...

Have you got any newer pictures of the family that you can share?
Karyn, I'm up for coming anytime... just let me know the best day and time and I'll work around your schedule.
Love ya.