Monday, November 06, 2006

Update on Mom and Dad 3

After you read "Update on Faith and Makaila 2", you will already have an idea of how we are doing. In addition to a day of new challenges faced by Faith and Makaila, neither Karyn nor I had a good sleep Saturday night. In fact, I am not sure if I slept much at all. Though I went to bed sometime after midnight, deep sleep was hard to find. I found myself to be very restless, with visions of tubes and wires and incubators filling my thoughts and dreams. Several times I almost got up to phone the NICU to get a live update on how the girls were doing, but somehow never mustered the gumption to get out of bed. Karyn was too hot last night to sleep well, and had to get up to eat on one occasion and to pump breast milk on another. I got up early with Isaiah (7:30am) and tried to keep up with him until 10:30 when Karyn got up. I went back to bed and crashed for 2 hours of the deepest sleep I'd had in the previous 24 hours.

We spent the better part of the afternoon and early evening in the NICU with the girls and brought in a few guests who came to visit and meet Faith and Makaila. The entire time was particularly emotional for Karyn, and was especially difficult when Makaila crashed (for an explanation of what "crashed" means, see the previous blog entry). It is very difficult to see your very vulnerable infant go through significant physical distress. When they decided that it was time to take her off of CPAP and put her back on the respirator, we decided it was time to go. We stayed long enough to see Makaila's little face free of the cumbersome nose tubes and tape for the first time since her birth. I took a few pictures and then Karyn's brother, Daryl, took us out to Red Robins for dinner (thanks Daryl!), which was a welcome distraction by this time.

Isaiah spent the afternoon and evening with my parents (Terry and Larry) and we met them back at Bob and Sally's apartment after dinner. After Isaiah went to bed, Karyn and I decompressed with my parents for while. The reality of not taking our little girls home has hit Karyn hard. Especially considering it won't be until after February 12th (their original due date) that we will even be able to think about bringing them home. This is especially daunting after difficult days like today. In a particularly emotional and vulnerable moment Karyn expressed in words what was running through her mind, and I don't think she was exaggerating or out of line by saying them: "Living through three and a half more months seems like it will be hell." We are only 6 days into a 105 day journey (at least)...99 more to go.

At times, especially tonight, this is a sobering and discouraging fact. Being honest and expressing how we feel to each other and our family and friends with whatever emotions come with these feelings, has been crucial and life giving during these early parts of this journey. The unconditional love we have received from each other, our families, and friends has been healing and encouraging. Writing this blog is also very therapeutic for me, and your encouraging "comments" have been tangible and much needed blessings for both Karyn and I. We deeply appreciate your love, kindness, grace, encouragement, and prayers.

Blessings,

Graham

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Graham & Karyn, it's Joysi here. Thank you for all the updates on your girls and yourselves. I've been staying at Karla & Daryl's for a while so I normally hear from them how the girls are doing but when I go back home, I will be checking your blog to learn about their progress.

I continue to pray for you, your girls and all your family. I pray that God gives you peace that passes all understanding as you go through this trial. And I continue to pray that you will see His hand in your girls' health every day of their life and that He gives great wisdom to the medical team to know exactly what treatment to give your girls.

May the Lord continue to be with you and strenghten you and may His presence surround you, Issaiah and your beautiful girls.

Love, Joysi

Melissa said...

Hey You guys!
I just want you to know that this morning I spent an amazing ride to Lake Errock for one of my home visit, enjoying the beautiful scenery...I was captivated by God's creation and through this experience was compelled to pray for you and your family! I strongly believe that your family is a huge testimony to others and for yourselves...of God's love by providing so many people in your lives to come along side you, to show YOU how much you are appreciated, and how much you have done for others that they want to return the favor. Your faith and strength during this time may be like a roller coaster ride...and that is ok! I believe and pray that the 99(ish) days go quickly, that you will all persevere, and that you will feel the Lord's presence through it all!

(when can we see you next?)